The Public Works Department is the cornerstone of local government serving the residents of the Village of Winneconne in many different ways. Each section within the Department reflects a specific community’s needs directly impacting all the residents in the Village. In general, the Department maintains municipal property and provides essential resources and services. This includes the operation and maintenance of the Village’s 17.07 miles of roads, clean water system, waste water system, refuse and recycling pick up, and parks and cemetery development.
The Public Works Department has a less noticeable side which provides many necessary services such as mapping and assisting in the plans for Village public improvements and infrastructure development projects. The Public Works Director manages the staff, daily operations, code enforcement, emergency services and special projects in order to maintain a basic quality of life for residents. All the work done on this side of the department is the driving force behind the designing, planning, and management for projects within the Village.
The Department of Public Works for the Village of Winneconne provides multiple services to the residents. These services include:
Public Works maintains 17.2 miles of streets. This includes plowing, salting, painting, sweeping, and much more.
The Village also operates a municipally-owned sanitary sewer collection system. The system includes sewer mains, laterals, lift stations, and an extended aeration treatment facility.
This department also keeps Winneconne's parks looking beautiful by maintaining their buildings and grounds.
The Village operates a municipally-owned water system that provides for the community's needs. The system includes two wells and two water towers. During an average month, the system provides 5,000,000 gallons of well water to its customers!
Waste & Recycling
Public Works handles refuse collection, brush/yard waste, and recycling. The Village contracts its refuse collection and recycling services.
Specific duties of the Public Works Director include the following:
- Oversees and supervises the maintenance and light repair of Village-owned vehicles.
- Oversees and supervises the maintenance and repair of all Village-owned buildings and grounds.
- Oversees and supervises the maintenance and repair of the Village’s sanitary sewer collection system.
- Oversees and supervises the maintenance and repair of the Village’s water system including well pumps, distribution lines and water towers.
- Oversees and supervises the maintenance and repair of Village streets, public alleys, and public sidewalks.
- Prepares recommendations on needed infrastructure improvements.
- Supervises the Public Works Department, including staff.
- Works with the Village Administrator and Public Works Committee to maintain the Village’s overall public works system and general maintenance program, the Village’s water and wastewater plant, and the Village's streets and buildings.